A lot of what you do as a nonprofit leader (let’s face it – most of what you do) is highly complex and labor-intensive.  But here’s a great opportunity to do good in your sleep:  divest your organization’s assets from fossil-fuel interests, and invest them in green energy development.  Those leading this effort compare it – accurately, I think – to the high-impact campaign 30 years ago to divest in companies that helped sustain apartheid in South Africa.

This terrific article in the Huffington Post by Divest-Invest leaders Ellen Dorsey and Richard Mott, of the Wallace Global Fund, provides an excellent overview of the initiative’s brief history (begun in 2011 by university students disillusioned by governmental inaction, then given a big boost by environmentalist Bill McKibben), and addressing a few of the common anti-divestment arguments.

A few sentences that jump out at me:

“No mission-driven or cause-based organization should hold positions in industries that pose a direct threat to its mission or to the public good.”

And –

“The claim that prudent financial management somehow trumps impact on mission is not just wrong on the facts, it stands the notion of fiduciary duty on its head, putting profit over values.”

But, the authors point out, you need not sacrifice performance to go green:  “The best analyses we have seen, in backcast studies by Impax, Aperio Group, and Boston Common Asset Management, all show essentially zero risk in being out of the top 200 fossil fuel companies.”

Indeed, there is a widespread belief (reportedly a hot topic of discussion at Davos last week) that fossil fuels are overvalued, so staying in fossil fuels might represent a significant risk.

Governments are clearly not going to provide the trillion or so dollars annually required to transform global green energy options anytime soon.  But philanthropies, non-profits, and others, concertedly shifting assets away from fossil fuels and into green energy initiatives could have a huge impact – comparable, perhaps, to helping end apartheid.

I hope you’ll read Dorsey and Mott’s article, continue on to the Divest-Invest website, and give some serious thought to your organization’s portfolio.  Although these authors are addressing leaders of foundations with hundreds of millions of dollars under management – far, far more than most of us non-profit leaders – every little bit helps.  As you know, the ocean is just a zillion drops of water.

I hope you’ll let me know what you think and do in response to this exciting call to action.

Comments

05/31/2016 12:42am

Yeah, I like their articles. Good post!

I am not sure why governments are not into this. They should have the moral obligation to make sure this succeeds but for some reason, they don't. It's great that people in the know suggest that we make an effort to focus on this and the profit would just be a bonus. The real benefit would be the better world our grandchildren will be living in.

08/21/2016 10:00pm

Many organization adopt the good strategies for grow up your level in the international level. All the people always continue the work in company and try to achieve your goal before the time.

09/10/2016 4:58am

You can without a doubt find forming work inside your own school. Basically let yourself go around various understudies who are truly requiring a writer who has a quality composed work capacity. This online diary helped me to accumulate some critical information.

09/16/2016 5:03am

I every time spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts daily along with a mug of coffee.

09/21/2016 9:41am

Many thanks for discussing this information and I'll love to review your following post too.

09/22/2016 5:34am

Two of the most important considerations when researching the purchase of a memory foam mattress are the product's comfort and durability. As with all mattress types, a wide range of options exist in levels of firmness as well as longevity.

09/27/2016 5:11pm

Thank you, sir, that you shering article on your web page is enough to make me satisfied and happy to read and understand what you write. I am a person who is still learning the article you wrote is very helpful at all for me. I hope his future is no more interesting information in this web masters, for which I can from the writings of the father, I can only say thank you, hopefully more successful.

10/04/2016 12:37am

Pretty cool post. It’s really very nice and useful post.Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks.

this is very well written post

12/15/2016 11:56pm

Making blog more effective depends on the blog and the contents. Every blogger is keen make their blog popular by applying simple tips which are commonly shared by many other blogger. Making Strategy to reach the top of the Search Engine helps every website to improve fast indexing on SE.

This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.

02/03/2017 4:31am

jac.nic.in

04/04/2017 6:53am

For a great many people, rest is a characteristic thing. Following full time work or fun, then the most regular thing to do is to go home, do some daily schedules, and afterward simply hit the bed.